What are the conditions to be met to become a French citizen and obtain French nationality?
If you live and work in France, and if you plan to stay longer in France, then it is better to have French nationality.
Indeed, by granting French Nationality, you will have the obligations and rights of any French citizen.
But not everyone can obtain French citizenship.
Indeed, we invite you to find how to have French nationality for a foreigner?
Indeed, there are several methods to obtain French nationality.
Each of its methods has its own conditions!
Thus, in this article we will give you an idea of the means that can give you access to French Nationality:
- Obtain French nationality by marriage.
- Obtain French nationality by descent.
- And finally, obtain French nationality by naturalization.
Moreover, in each of these means, we will evoke their reciprocal conditions.
So, let’s discover the conditions for obtaining French nationality!
Conditions for Conditions to become a French citizen
As mentioned before, there are 3 methods to obtain French nationality.
Each of its methods has its own conditions.
In this article, we will not focus on the presentation of the methods, but rather on the conditions in each of them.
Moreover, if you want to have more information on the methods that make it easier for you to obtain French nationality, we invite you to read our article on this subject:
How to obtain French nationality?
1. Conditions for obtaining French Nationality through Marriage
If you are married to a French citizen, you have every right to apply for French nationality.
Thus, here are the conditions to respect to submit your application for citizenship:
- Live in France in a legal and uninterrupted way for at least 3 years since the day of the marriage.
- Be married for at least 4 years.
- Holder of a residence regular
- If you got married abroad, the marriage must be transcribed in the French civil status registers.
- Community of life.
- No eviction order is in effect.
- Master the French language.
- No conviction for crimes against the interests of the Nation.
- That you must not have been sentenced to a prison term of more than 6 months.
2. Conditions for
Obtaining French nationality by filiation Obtaining French nationality by the so-called “filiation” method is a consequence of the principle of “right of the soil”.
- If one of the parents is French.
- If one of the parents becomes French.
- In case of adoption.
2.1. In case of birth in France
If you and your spouse are foreigners while your child was born in France, then your child has the right to French nationality on its conditions:
- one of his parents was born in France,
- one of his parents is born in Algeria before July 3, 1962,
- He was born stateless in France.
Moreover, the child will be able to apply for French citizenship from the age of 13.
2.2. The case of the former colonies
Here are the two conditions to be respected in this specific case:
- If your child was born in France before January 1, 1994 and you were born on a former French overseas territory before its accession to independence, this one is French.
- If your child was born in France after January 1, 1963 and you were born in Algeria before July 3, 1962, he is French.
3. Conditions of French Nationality by Naturalization
To be able to apply for naturalization with the French authorities, you must meet several conditions.
- The applicant must be of legal age.
- The applicant must reside in France for at least 5 years.
- In addition, the applicant for French nationality must reside in France, work and live.
- The applicant must reside in France on a regular basis.
- He must also have a residence permit.
- Applicants for French citizenship must demonstrate assimilation into the French community.
- He must not have been the subject of criminal convictions.
- And finally the applicant for French nationality must be able to indicate the nationalities he possesses.
To conclude, you must first meet its conditions to become a French citizen.
Next, you will need to prepare the citizenship documents required to be able to submit your application for French Nationality.