French Talent Passport for a recruitment in an Innovative Project

As an employee working for an innovative project, you must apply for a card if the planned length of stay is at least 1 year. If the duration of stay is less than 1 year, a long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (VL-TS ) mention talent passport is sufficient. An innovative project is a venture recognized as such by the French Government.

Your family can benefit from the simplified accompanying family procedure. Your spouse and your minor children (under 18) automatically receive a multi-year family talent passport residence card. The duration of this card is equal to the remaining validity period of your stay. It gives the right to exercise any professional activity.

You can obtain a talent passport residence permit – business creation – that allows exercising a commercial activity if you meet the following conditions:

  • A qualification corresponding to a master’s degree or equivalent, or at least five years’ commensurate professional experience.
  • Existence of a real and serious plan to form an economically viable business in France.
  • An investment of at least €30,000 in the planned business.

If you live abroad, you must file your card application with the French consular authorities in your country of residence. On your arrival in France, your card will be given to the prefecture or sub-prefecture of your domicile upon presentation of your visa.

If you live in France, you must submit your request for a card to the prefecture (or sub-prefecture) of your domicile (find out more on the prefecture’s website) within 2 months before the expiry date of your residence permit.

Once granted, the Talent Passport is valid for 4 years and allows the employee to bring his close family very easily (spouse and minor dependent children). The aim is to simplify the recruitment of young talents, in a simplified procedure called the French Tech visa.


  • Your long-stay visa or residence permit
  • Your passport (pages relating to civil status, validity dates and entry stamps)
  • Birth certificate (full copy or extract with parentage)
  • If you are married: marriage certificate (full copy or extract with parentage)
  • If you have children: birth certificate (full copy or extract with parentage) of each child
  • Proof of address less than 3 months old
  • 3 photos
  • Cerfa form 
  • Employment contract
  • Proof of resources greater than or equal to twice the amount of the minimum wage
  • Documents relating to the nature of the business: certificate from the Ministry of the Economy recognizing the innovative nature of the business or document establishing the quality of young innovative business
  • Documents establishing the direct link of the job seeker with the company’s research and development project
  • Documents completed by your employer.